Post Feed
Comment Feed

About Me

My MP3 Player

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever The Sounds - Dying to Say This to You Coldplay - Parachutes Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - (audio book)

New Comments

2017 Archives

July All Archives...

But think of the children!!

Tuesday, January 15th, 2008

I read a story about Myspace preventing kids from signing up based on email addresses. Apparently parents (or any guardians) are able to submit their children's email addresses to Myspace to deny them creating an account with that address.

Let's think about this for a second. How many parents do you think know their kid's email address? Probably quite a few. How many parents know that it takes about 3.5 seconds to create a new email address with any of the 10,000 free email providers? I'm guessing not so many.

Myspace and these attorney generals are just further enabling parents to say, "Oh please monitor what my child is doing online, I don't either don't care or don't have the patience to parent my child." Most (technically-retarded) parents will probably argue that they don't understand how this stuff works and therefore can't adequately supervise their child online. I think that is just sad. Sure, they might not understand it, but now is a great time to learn. You teach your kid to not talk to strangers starting from the time they can walk on their own. Why are you not teaching your kid to not talk to strangers online? It's the same thing.

I'd also like to add that by parents submitting their underage child's email address, they are created one hell of a valuable database. If there are contractors, consultants or otherwise inept IT people involved, which there always are, this database of email addresses will be compromised eventually. And when it is, every pedophile in the neighborhood is going to be emailing your kid directly offering things like ice cream, Wii tournaments and mustache rides. What will your kid do when this happens? Since you left it up to Myspace and the attorney general to parent your kid, they'll probably meet up with this person for some Wii tennis.

Comments (10) Subscribe

JR
#1 - Jan 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM
I agree. They are creating a false sense of security for the parents who will believe that because they submitted 1 e-mail address their child is protected somehow.

Your comment about the database being valuable is definately true. I'm sure we'll eventually see phishing e-mails asking parents to submit their kids info to get it into the MySpace database.
Joe
#2 - Jan 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Adults are susceptible enough to phishing emails. "Click here to update your bank info", "you've got a valentine's day greeting card, click here to view it". Imagine how easy it'll be for people spamming these kids to get them to infect their (or their parent's) pc: "you won a wii! click here to claim it!"

Joe
#3 - Jan 15, 2008 at 11:46 AM
...or imagine a 13yr old boy try to resist clicking on a link in an email that says "click here to see some boobies!" hahaha
Brock
#4 - Jan 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM
I hadn't considered the leaked-DB issue. My first thought was that I should submit all of my friends' e-mail addresses to make sure they don't use that awful piece of trash.
Joe
#5 - Jan 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM
friends don't let friends use myspace...
JR
#6 - Jan 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM
The only reason I even log in anymore is because they are planning my 10 year high school reunion on it.
Cheryl
#7 - Jan 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Hey JR can't they use classmates.com for that instead of myspace for a reunion?

The only thing I did with myspace was to log in one time and create an account with an email from earthlink that is a hidden email (does not have my name attached to it), so that I could spy on someone else's account. The police do it all the time, to find kids they know that are problems in the community and check out who they hang with and such.
Joe
#8 - Jan 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Hahah, nice to know the police are spying on our troublemakers through myspace.

JR's classmates probably use myspace to organize reunions because they are as retarded as the parents that will give up their kid's email addresses. The same thing happens with my high school; why invite everyone when only the "cool" people are using myspace...
JR
#9 - Jan 29, 2008 at 9:28 AM
I came across a great MySpace related song last night. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw9QBkAO774&eurl=http://www.jonathancoulton.com/
Joe