Post Feed
Comment Feed

About Me

My MP3 Player

Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming John Petrucci - Suspended Animation Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever Yanni - Live at the Acropolis

New Comments

2017 Archives

July All Archives...

Happy Birthday

Monday, January 25th, 2010

In case you haven't heard yet, at 11:03pm on January 12, 2010, our daughter Claire Marie Reid was born! She was a little over a week early, weighing in at 8 pounds 2 ounces and 21 inches long.

Claire 1 day old

Claire 1 day old

Her hot-tub drained (water broke) around 5:45am that morning but Rachelle didn't have any pain or contractions. The doctor said to make our way to the hospital soon, but we had time to get some stuff done like shower and eat breakfast. We arrived just after 8am. She (baby) was freaking out in there and jumping all around; it took her a couple hours to calm down. Things started getting serious around 9:15pm and she was born around 11.

For months I had been telling people (who asked) that I was going to stay on the top end and had no real desire to be down where all the action was. Well that didn't go quite as planned when the nurse had me holding on to her leg in the middle of everything. It was okay, I didn't freak out or anything. At one point they needed to make a cut to make more room for her head to come out. I knew this was coming and there was no way in hell I was going to watch so when the doctor grabbed these special scissors I made a point of looking anywhere but down there. I successfully avoided seeing that, but I heard it, and that sound will probably haunt me for quite a while. Imagine the sound of cutting up a piece of raw chicken with kitchen shears! (hughughhughugh *shudder*)

By the time we got settled in our room it was around 2am and we were so beat we sent Claire down to the nursery so we could get some sleep. There was a nice new pull-out chair in the room for me. It wasn't the most comfy thing in the world, but I was so tired I could have slept face down on the floor.

We were supposed to go home Thursday (1/14) at like 11am but as of that morning she had not taken a whiz yet, and they like to see her do that a couple times before letting her go home. One of the nurses got her to go by poking her in the bladder so they let us go around 6pm that day. We had an appointment with the pediatrician the next day and they could deal with the pee situation if she still hadn't gone on her own without a poke. She eventually went. One of the greatest parts about going home was on the way out of the parking garage at Highland Hospital the attendant was not in the booth and the gate was up, so I didn't have to pay for parking there for 2 days!

Claire at home Claire and Dad

We've been really lucky so far with her. She is a very laid back baby, only crying when she has a need for it (hungry, wet, annoyed with you). She sleeps a lot during the day but will lay there awake just looking around and listening to what we're doing. She usually wants to eat every 2 hours during the day but every once in a while will want to go every hour. At night if we fill her up we can get 3 or 4 hours out of her. And we still have to wake her up after all that time to feed her!

Comments (2) Subscribe

#1 - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM
I love that Claire's hair is "Draco Malfoy" blonde!
#2 - Jan 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM
That was pretty much a given because both of us were like that when we were young. Hopefully she stays like that...

Make a comment!

Numbers from below


Email Address

Website URL

Remember me