Post Feed
Comment Feed

About Me

My MP3 Player

Dream Theater - Live at Budokan Transatlantic - SMPTe The Sounds - Dying to Say This to You Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets

New Comments

2017 Archives

July All Archives...

Blog Archives for January 2010

Happy Birthday

Monday, January 25th, 2010 - Comments (2) in Life

In case you haven't heard yet, at 11:03pm on January 12, 2010, our daughter Claire Marie Reid was born! She was a little over a week early, weighing in at 8 pounds 2 ounces and 21 inches long.

Claire 1 day old

Claire 1 day old

Her hot-tub drained (water broke) around 5:45am that morning but Rachelle didn't have any pain or contractions. The doctor said to make our way to the hospital soon, but we had time to get some stuff done like shower and eat breakfast. We arrived just after 8am. She (baby) was freaking out in there and jumping all around; it took her a couple hours to calm down. Things started getting serious around 9:15pm and she was born around 11.

For months I had been telling people (who asked) that I was going to stay on the top end and had no real desire to be down where all the action was. Well that didn't go quite as planned when the nurse had me holding on to her leg in the middle of everything. It was okay, I didn't freak out or anything. At one point they needed to make a cut to make more room for her head to come out. I knew this was coming and there was no way in hell I was going to watch so when the doctor grabbed these special scissors I made a point of looking anywhere but down there. I successfully avoided seeing that, but I heard it, and that sound will probably haunt me for quite a while. Imagine the sound of cutting up a piece of raw chicken with kitchen shears! (hughughhughugh *shudder*)

By the time we got settled in our room it was around 2am and we were so beat we sent Claire down to the nursery so we could get some sleep. There was a nice new pull-out chair in the room for me. It wasn't the most comfy thing in the world, but I was so tired I could have slept face down on the floor.

We were supposed to go home Thursday (1/14) at like 11am but as of that morning she had not taken a whiz yet, and they like to see her do that a couple times before letting her go home. One of the nurses got her to go by poking her in the bladder so they let us go around 6pm that day. We had an appointment with the pediatrician the next day and they could deal with the pee situation if she still hadn't gone on her own without a poke. She eventually went. One of the greatest parts about going home was on the way out of the parking garage at Highland Hospital the attendant was not in the booth and the gate was up, so I didn't have to pay for parking there for 2 days!

Claire at home Claire and Dad

We've been really lucky so far with her. She is a very laid back baby, only crying when she has a need for it (hungry, wet, annoyed with you). She sleeps a lot during the day but will lay there awake just looking around and listening to what we're doing. She usually wants to eat every 2 hours during the day but every once in a while will want to go every hour. At night if we fill her up we can get 3 or 4 hours out of her. And we still have to wake her up after all that time to feed her!

The Nursery

Sunday, January 10th, 2010 - Comments (0) in House, Life

I've been meaning to write about the nursery for months now but I just never got around to it. We took our smallest guest room and turned it into the baby's room. We had a queen bed in there and it was very crowded with clothes, shoes and other crap. It was kind of hard to imagine it as a nursery before, but I think it turned out very nice.

We put a ceiling fan in and painted everything. Instead of 100% hot pink everywhere I was glad Rachelle wanted to do a two-tone tope and light pink combo on the walls. We put a chair rail up in between the colors which turned out pretty good. I was afraid the corners would come out terrible, but I did a lot of research and a little practice and I'm happy with the result.


Instead of just using a miter saw to cut the chair rail corners at 45° I used a coping saw to make sure the profiles of the trim met up perfectly. This house was built in the 70s and none of the angles are perfect, so this was the only way to get it to meet up right. This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I did the cuts rather slowly but the most time consuming part was actually finding my coping saw; I knew I had one, but I hadn't seen it in years.

Chair rail coping Chair rail coping

Chair rail

Chair rail

Holiday Lights

Monday, January 4th, 2010 - Comments (2) in Holidays, Life

I've never been much into decorating the outside of the house for Christmas. My parents never puts lights up outside on the house or in the lawn so I guess it was never a big deal for me. Last year I put a few lights up outside, but it was way more work than it was worth.

On one of the ways home I drive past this ridiculously decorated property. Every line of the house has lights, every tree in the yard has lights and there all sorts of crap in the lawn that's lit up. Nobody else in the area has any lights on, so it just sticks out that much more. It's so over the top it actually causes you to slowdown and rubberneck.

I'd been meaning to go back at night and take some pictures for weeks, and I finally got around to doing it today. I didn't have a wide enough lens to get everything, but either way, a picture just can't convey how awesome it is. These pictures were also hand-held and it was about 10° out, so it was tough to get good ones with me shivering.

awesome xmas lights

awesome xmas lights 2

Happy New Year!

Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 - Comments (3) in Holidays, Life, Movies

Happy New Year! I don't often make resolutions since I'll almost certainly fail, but this year I want to update this website more. Rachelle set the bar a little low for her New Year goals. She wanted to set the clocks upstairs to the right time (they were 1 hour off from day-light savings), done already, and she wants to lose 20 pounds in the first 30 days of the year. Since the baby is due in January this one shouldn't be a problem.

We didn't do much for New Year's Eve, just went out to dinner and watched a couple movies. We ate at a nice place in Pittsford that I had never heard of, the Crystal Barn. We had a buy-one-entree-get-one-free coupon (up to $15), but they wouldn't take it since it was a holiday. This place is a little expensive for my taste, but it was good for a holiday meal. I got the Sole Wellington, it had a little pastry fish icon on the top.

When we got home we watched Funny People and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Curiously enough, the meatball movie was way funnier.

Our movies finished about 12 minutes to midnight so we were able to catch the ball drop and see all the celebs make fools of themselves on live TV. I feel bad saying it, but Dick Clark needs to not be on TV anymore. I understand the poor guy had a stroke, but I think that should have been the cue for him to retire from show business. It was a little painful watching him go back and forth with Ryan Seacrest. And then there was his colossal failure of a countdown...